About the INSPIRE Pre-College Program
Program dates: July 3 – July 23, 2016
The INSPIRE Pre-College Program is a full scholarship open to Native American, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian rising junior and senior high school students, including 2016 anticipated graduates, who want to spend 3-weeks on the George Washington University (GW) campus to learn about intergovernmental relations between tribal governments and the federal government. The program is a full-day experiential undergraduate course, Native Politics and the American Political System, taught by GW faculty, which will offer opportunities for students to meet and interview influential Native advocates who work in Washington, D.C.
As an added bonus, INSPIRE students live on campus and participate in recreational programs with the community of high school students enrolled in GW Pre-College programs.
INSPIRE scholarships are awarded to students based on evidence of academic ability, leadership potential, and an interest in public service. Students from all tribes and from every part of the United States are welcome to apply.
There is no application fee. The INSPIRE Pre-College Program is spearheaded by the Native American Political Leadership Program (NAPLP) at (GW) and made possible by a generous contribution from AT&T.
What does the INSPIRE scholarship cover?
- One course in Native Politics and the American Political System (3 undergraduate credit hours)
- Room and board at GW
- Airfare to and from Washington, D.C. (one round-trip ticket)
- All required textbooks
- Required local travel related to the course
NOTE: While credit bearing courses are typically transferable to other institutions, please check specific university policies.
How to apply?
We encourage you to submit your application through our online system. The following list contains required supporting documents that may be submitted seperately:
- 350 Word Essay
- High School Transcript
- Proof of Tribal Enrollment or Ancestry
- Recommendation form completed by a teacher or counselor
All application materials must be recieved by March 1, 2016. We offer a wide variety of convenient ways for you to submit the required documents. You may submit the required documents by:
- Attaching the documents to the online application; or
- Emailing digital copies to email@example.com; or
- Faxing copies to 202-994-8471; or
- Mailing copies to The Native American Political Leadership Program at the George Washington University, Attn: The INSPIRE Pre-College Program, 1922 F Street NW Suite 401, Washington, DC 20052.
INSPIRE Pre-College Program Flyer
Updated on 11/11/2015
Sample Student Schedule
Actual student schedules may vary.
Breakfast on Foggy Bottom
Lunch on Foggy Bottom
Independent or Group Study Sessions/ College Prep Workshops
Dinner on Foggy Bottom
Residential Events and Activities/Free Time
Program Activities and Off-campus Excursions